Saturday, April 14, 2012

My Opinion: Transgender Issues

"I am a woman. I was devastated, and I felt that excluding me for the reason that they gave was unjust. I have never asked for any special consideration. I only wanted to compete." -Jenna Talackova (original article here).

I've read some blogs and opinion about this issue and I can't help but write something about it. Some have expressed their support for Jenna while some have expressed their disappointment. Even the former Miss Universe Runner-up Miriam Quiambao was quoted in her tweet saying that although she is not judging gays and transgenders, she believes that the Miss Universe should only be for natural born women.

Being one of the LGBTs is not really a smooth-sailing ride. I've known a lot of them, my friends, and I've come to realize that although you see them happy, everyday is actually a struggle. For some who have not yet come out, hiding drives them insane. For some who did come out, dealing with discrimination is a daily battle. 

If I were to decide on the Miss Universe ruling, I think that I would stick by Ms. Quiambao. I also believe that it's just for natural born women. But who cares about pageants, anyway? Miss Universe may make us stop our work and get our eyes glued on television but it just happens once a year. Transgender issues should go beyond beauty pageants which seem too trivial compared to the struggles that LGBTs face in everyday living. 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...