Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Survivor

I survived two days with no internet. I knew I wouldn't die of it, but the thought of not being connected in cyberworld almost killed me. No social (not)working, instant messaging, and emails for two days, my hands were itching! I knew I wouldn't die of it, but it made me feel so deprived! I am an internet addict, that I know and I admit, and thinking of a two-day vacation from surfing almost made me feel like I'd be thrown in a jungle.

Okay, so the two-day vacation is not really a vacation, and neither a jungle. It's a two-day assignment in another office. I've accepted a part-time job which requires me to be in their office for two days a week. Their office is nice but since this is a job that requires my serious side, I would have to let go of internet surfing while I do my work. Before my first day, I had doubts whether I'd be able to handle the self-inflicted pressure that I would surely create in my dire need to go online. But, its worth a try.

And okay, so I wasn't entirely "disconnected" from cyberworld, I cheated.

First day. I broke my rule. I spent about ten to fifteen minutes online to search some information about Quickbooks, well, it's a work-related search so I felt vindicated. But I did sneak into my email account for a while, and since there were no important messages, I went back to my work station.

Second day. I opened my email account again. Why can't I just restrain myself? Well, I thought that it wouldn't hurt to open my email. Just one email account, and it would give me peace of mind. There was one VIP mail, I read it but didn't reply. I guess that two-minute surfing is enough. I guess I'll just use my instant messaging alternative: Uzzap, thank you Smart for this free service!

I had to sacrifice karma loss in Plurk and was not updated with the currents of what's happening with my OL and RL friends. Well, losing karma won't kill me. If I ever get bankrupt in Mafia Wars, it would be okay, cyber-millions aren't worth a single centavo in real life, anyway. I am just happy that within the seven-day activity (with four days of zero to very minimal internet connection), my google adsense is moving, thank you!

Also, I was able to attend to Software Freedom Day 2009 last Saturday. And though I didn't finish the whole activity because of my classes, I was happy to have attended. It was a wonderful event! And I've heard that George Tujan's talk was a blast. Too bad I missed it! But anyway, the event introduced me to Kevin Paquet and Faust Principe, two promising bloggers, and I have a well-founded belief that these two are internet buffs, like me. I don't know if these two would survive an internet-less day. Wanna bet?

2 comments:

  1. Sorry for the late reply, ngayon ko lang napansin ang na may incoming link ako from your blog. haha. ikaw yung nag-save sa akin sa business question?

    Anyways, tama ka nga, di ako mabuhay ng walang internet, pero, I'm starting to live without blogging. Nawalan ako ng gana. :p

    Pero ika nga, sabi ni Ria Jose, it takes time at babalik rin ang interest sa blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yah, i was the one who made some inputs regarding that business question.

    taking a break from blogging? hehehe, maybe you're just busy with school. ma mimiss mo rin yan, and sem break na so i guess you'll definitely blog soon. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thanks for reading this post.

I moderate my comments so please wait before it is approved. There is no point in typing your comment all over again if you don't see it after submitting. (--,)

For anonymous commenters, I'm sorry but I don't approve spam comments. If you want to drop links to your site, we are most willing to accommodate your request for a quote. Send us a message by using our contact form.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...