Sunday, April 17, 2011

Do's and Don'ts for the Oath Taking Ceremony

I  made a more serious article for this at Law School Funk. What you can read in this post is all about the humour in my oath taking ceremony experience.

April 13. I arrived in Manila around 7:50 and Cebu Pacific was 5 minutes ahead of schedule. I proceeded to the Office of the Bar Confidant to process my clearance. Once there, we were given a sheet with instructions and we were supposed to read everything in it but I don't know what happened to me, I only read until Instruction Number 2. Why? Because I was done with my clearance after Instruction Number 2 and I forgot everything about the instruction sheet. I know it said not to bring any camera for the next day's oath taking ceremony. What I failed to read was that we had to be at the ceremony's venue at least two hours before the start of the program because there will be a registration. DO READ EVERYTHING ON YOUR INSTRUCTION SHEET.

What not to do while processing your clearance: Being rude to IBP personnel. There was this girl who insisted on paying the IBP Lifetime membership fee. After paying the required dues, she came back a few minutes later because she (and her friend) decided that they will pay the lifetime membership fees on site. The IBP personnel requested that she pay either in Ortigas or next day at the PICC because they were running out of official receipts. This girl insisted to the point of being rude. I know she tried her best in persuading the IBP personnel but she started arrogantly. Her money was refused.

April 14. Oath taking ceremony. DO NOT WEAR A LONG GOWN UNDER THE TOGA. I hope nobody does this on subsequent oath taking ceremonies. You would look hilarious! As much as possible, your dress should not stick out from underneath your toga Below is a photo I took here at home. That's my sister wearing a toga over a long gown. I intentionally made her pose for the camera to give you a first view of how it would look like. You be the judge.

For the men: DO NOT WEAR A TOGA TOO TIGHT AND TOO SHORT. Check the length of the sleeves and the length of the toga so that you wouldn't look comical.

Be early. There is a registration before the oath taking ceremony. The registration, however, won't take long. But it is best for you to be early so that you can choose the best seats. Also, the oath taking ceremony starts on time so you should never be late!

Wear the proper shoes. Ok, so this is my mishap. I wore a pair of shoes one size smaller than my actual shoe size. Guess what happened? Both shoes were NABUNGKAG! (dismantled, taken apart, destroyed!). I didn't know that we had to walk from the PICC main entrance up to the Plenary Hall entrance and I wore the wrong shoes. Honestly, I love those shoes, they're perfect for my outfit. I just didn't foresee that it was not sturdy enough. Maybe I could add DO BRING ADHESIVES FOR EMERGENCY PURPOSES.

DO BRING CASH, AND LOTS OF IT. Cameras are  not allowed inside the Plenary Hall but don't worry because Official Photographers are there to document your oath taking ceremony for a fee. However, the fee is quite expensive: P500 for two shots. So, if you want photos, be ready with your money.

DO BRING AN UMBRELLA. This is self-explanatory. If you don't have a car, at least have an umbrella. Manila is so damned hot! And it's difficult to find a cab inside the PICC-CCP compound. You can find lots of cabs outside the compound but you have to walk under the heat of the sun. And don't forget the sturdy shoes as mentioned above.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...