Thursday, March 22, 2012

Camera Review: Pentax Optio WG-1

We were in the search for an underwater camera and it led us to buying Pentax Optio WG-1 in Purple.
What made me choose this camera was primarily because of it's appearance. It looked so awesomely handsome! Aside from that, I wanted a decent camera which we can actually bring when diving. There are a lot of affordable underwater cameras in the market today but they're mostly usable only up to 3 meters and you can't bring that while diving. 

All images used in this post (even those edited by me) were taken from the Pentax website.

What Pentax has to say about the camera:

12th generation
PENTAX’s 12th rugged generation waterproof digital camera is adventure proof, and suitable for almost any environment.
Shockproof
Shockproof, ruggedized design protects from drops up to 5 feet.
Coldproof
Coldproof to sub-freezing temps of minus 10 degrees C (14 degrees F).
14 megapixels
14 megapixel sensor offers plenty of image detail.
Large 2.7 inch LCD
Large 2.7 inch LCD features a wide angle 16:9 aspect ratio with anti-reflective coating.
HDMI port
An HDMI port plays back beautiful, high def images and video on HDTVs.
Digital Shake Reduction
Pixel Track and Digital Shake Reduction ensure sharp, blur-free images.
Waterproof
Waterproof to 33 feet is perfect for use when submerged.
Crushproof
Crushproof construction withstands weights up to 220 LBF (Pound force).
Dustproof
Dustproof design protects the camera from dry, dusty environments.
Wide angle 5X internal optical zoom lens
Wide angle 5X internal optical zoom lens (28-140mm equivalent) provides flexible capture of subjects near or far.
Digital Microscope mode
Enhanced Digital Microscope mode uses 5 macro LEDs for perfect focus and smooth, even lighting.
720p HD video
Capture video in widescreen 720p HD at 30 frames per second.

I haven't tried much of its features but I was very satisfied with the underwater photos we got from the Pentax Optio WG-1. I was actually really amused with its capability to capture panoramic shots. As to the video, the quality isn't very good and I've seen the underwater video taken by an iphone (with the use of an underwater gadget, of course) to be much better than Pentax' video. Nevertheless, it is a great deal for its price of P17,500.

Just a caution, though... We find the battery closure to be a bit loose but we were told by the saleslady that it was normal and that we shouldn't worry about it. When we asked to compare with the other Pentax Optio WG-1 cameras on stock at the store, the battery closure is the same for all stocks. Nonetheless, we had no problems using it underwater. Thankfully, it did not leak.

Pentax Optio WG-1's body is rubberized, and I think that this would be a great feature for this adventure-proof camera. I hope this camera would last us a long time.

Click for photos and videos.

14 comments:

  1. I haven't tried Pentax yet but I heard they're awesome! Happy Shooting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ganda naman nang camerang ito. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. would love to have one of this... very informative post! thanks for sharing! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. pentax is a good brand. nice color .i like it coz blue is my fav color

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow it has so many good features. I hope it will really works best for you in your diving adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The camera is cute. I haven't tried using an underwater camera but this one looks good :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. please...take care of the batter closure. my underwater camera was destroyed beyond repair because of this....but i'm using another brand, which was actually more expensive than Pentax Optio WG-1.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love to see sample shots. I hope you're having an awesome time using it. Cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Thanks for setting expectations on that one. Pretty good review. I'll show this to FM para he'd know what to get me for Xmas. haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, it looks so handsome and manly. :) Hubby and I are looking for a good underwater camera too. May be we should consider Pentax. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw a review about this camera and a FRIEND who is into diving wants to own one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! The looks of this camera tells that it is really good for adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want one so that I'll have peace of mind when going on waters with my DSLR.

    ReplyDelete
  14. awesome! i love your pick too.. hope i can have this for my own.. for the love of adventures..

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thanks for reading this post.

I moderate my comments so please wait before it is approved. There is no point in typing your comment all over again if you don't see it after submitting. (--,)

For anonymous commenters, I'm sorry but I don't approve spam comments. If you want to drop links to your site, we are most willing to accommodate your request for a quote. Send us a message by using our contact form.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...